27 June, 2011

Referee knocked unconsciousnes after match:

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter
Referee being stretchered from pitch after being knocked out
GAA administrators in Tyrone have ordered an inquiry after a referee and a senior county official were knocked unconscious when violence flared at the end of a women's football final.

Simon Brady, 43, was attacked by a spectator as he checked his score card after St Macartan's of Augher defeated Carrickmore by scoring a winning point in the final stages of the match in Beragh.

Tyrone ladies football chairman Martin Conway was also stretchered off the pitch after he was hit when he tried to intervene on Friday night.

Father-of-two Mr Brady was treated at the Erne Hospital, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh for bruising and swelling to his face. He was struck once by a spectator after awarding St Macartan's a free kick just seconds from the end of the game.

Just after blowing the final whistle he was punched.

An official who came to assist the stricken ref was also knocked out
He said: "I was checking my score card to make sure every - thing was in order. I got a tap on the shoulder from one of the managers wanting to shake my hand and that is the last thing I remember."

Mr Brady told the Irish News: "Apparently I was hit. My understanding is that it was a spectator. I woke up maybe five minutes later. I was frightened. I didn't know what had happened. All I knew was I was lying on the ground and it was wet and cold.

"I wasn't even aware Martin Conway had been hit by another individual when he came to help me."
Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment