02 April, 2011

Cork City continue unbeaten run in Cross Classic:

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter
Cork City 2 (1) - (1) 2 Monaghan United:

PARTY TIME:  Cork City celebrate lucky late equaliser
The much maligned Airtricity League First Division received a welcome fillip on Friday night as Cork City twice came from behind to salvage their unbeaten start to the season in a Turner's Cross classic. 
The game was a welcome distraction from the pre-match histrionics of (former City manager) Roddy Collins who said that current City boss Tommy Dunner was a "boy doing a man's job." Neither manager shook hands before or after the game.
Monaghan went ahead on seven minutes through red-hot striker Derek O'Brien who finished with a brace and the match ball. The former St. Patrick's Athletic man guided a cross past 'keeper Mark McNulty with a glancing header. City were level on 24 minutes when an accurate corner from Morrisey was headed to the net by centre forward Graham Cummins in a crowded box. The first half was end-to-end though Monaghan 'keeper Sava was the busier of the two netminders. 
CONTROVERSY: Ref "awards" penalty
The most controversial moment of the night came when referee Jim McKell awarded a penalty after City's O'Brien was upended by the advancing visitting 'keeper; only for the assistant to correct the ref's decision. Much controversy and fist thumping ensued in the City ranks. Even further fist pumping ensued in the City defence soon after as Monaghan took the lead as Monaghan took the lead for a second time through the ever dangerous Monaghan #9 scoring his second goal of the night. This time with his head.
No love lost between controversial Collins & City boss Dunne in background
City levelled on 83 minutes through a specula - tive Davin O'Neill cross shot which deflected off Phillip Byrne before looping over 'keeper Silva and into the far corner of the net. Overall, the away manager will probably be happier to take a point from Turner's Cross but City will also be happy to maintain their unbeaten start to the season in an incident packed 90 minutes which was a welcome relief from the pre-match bickering.
Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment