22 March, 2011

Boxer defies odds (and medics) to return from savage knife attack:

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter
Medics said Joe would 'never box again' after stabbing
Joe Ainscough will attempt to continue his incredible comeback from injury when he competes in Prizefighter Super-Middleweights competition on Wednesday.
The Liverpool fighter was told his career was over when he suffered a punctured bowel, bladder and rectum in a knife attack two years ago.
But he recently returned to the ring with a first-round stoppage of Iliya Shakura and has now been handed a chance to perform in front of a local crowd at Liverpool Olympia.
Although doctors made Ainscough well aware of how serious his injuries were, he says he always knew he'd box again.
"I didn't disregard it because I've got all the respect in the world for the medics who looked after me. "But because of me and the way I am I just said, 'I'll be back, I'll get back up and fight again'." - said Joe this week in training.
BACK ON TRACK: Ainscough will compete in Prizefighter this week
The 31 year-old added: "As soon as I could start walking again, I got in the pool and swam for a while.
"Then onto jogging, and I just built it then. As soon as I could back in the gym and start hitting the bags - it just comes back to you.
"It's something I've done for the best part of my life and as soon you start feeling the sharpness coming back you start getting that hunger inside you again." An amazing comeback, an amazing man and an amazing story.
 

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment