01 March, 2011

Skippy's heart still beats for City: Whilst Friday's League opener will have plenty of political interest:

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter
MICK WALLACE: New Wexford T.D.
Cork City fan and politician: O'Brien









The 2011 Airtricity League of Ireland season opens on Friday night at 7:45p.m. at Turner's Cross when Cork City host Wexford Youths. There will be plenty of political interest as Wexford Youth's owner (who has unearthed such stars as Kevin Doyle) is a newly elected T.D. (Member of Irish Parliament). There will also be plenty of political interest on the Cork City side as newly elected Johnathan O'Brien is a part-owner of The "Rebel Army" City side.




Caulfield & Morley (right) celebrate winning the League in 1993
"The memories are the players I met along the way, the stadiums and the teams I played against. I'm thankful and proud to have all that," - former Cork City star Pat Morley
  
Cork City FC legend Pat Morley says he is willing to help out his former club should his services be needed.
The club's joint leading scorer (with John Caulfield on 129 - pictured left), says that having worked under Damien Richardson, he would be willing to perform a similar role under Tommy Dunne.
Although he had a spell with Shelbourn before returning to Cork City in 1998, he maintains his heart was always with his hometown club.

"Cork City is in my heart and I'd like to help out in any way I can," - Pat Morley


"Believe it or not, losing a cup final to Cork City was a highlight for me. It was an incredible night eventhough we lost. I was in with all the City lads after the game, I didn't stay in the Shelbourne dressing room, I was in the Cork City dressing room when the game ended.
"I was lucky enough to win it with Shelbourne the year before. I didn't shake the City player's hands, I hugged every one of them. The only thing I didn't do was get in the team photo. It didn't matter to me that I was on the other side, they were my friends.
Throughout an illustrious career that included a nine-month stint with Glasgow Celtic, he won two FAI Cups and one league.
INCREDIBLE TALENT: Derry's Liam Coyle
"I've had loads of high lights, but I think the biggest for me was winning the league with Cork City in 1993. There was so much going on at the time with the play-offs (Cork City, Bohemians and Shelbourne were involved in a three-way play-off to decide the league title after all three had finished level on points). To win the league up in the RDS, the emotion was incredible. As a Celtic fan, playing and scoring against Rangers and witnessing the hatred was a big thing for me. I'm not religious but I blessed myself after scoring, which definitely got a reaction I think All the European games were massive; especially Bayern Munich and Galatassary, they were huge games."
KEVIN DOYLE: a fantastic talent unearthed by Mick Wallace
The League of Ireland was Morley's bread and butter and he made 350 appearances against some of the greatest players ever to play in the league. 
"The greatest League of Ireland player I ever played with was Liam Coyle from Derry City. He was a gentleman and an incredibly gifted player."
"While it was sad to see City almost go bankrupt; it's great to see Cork City on the up again and with players like Danny Murphy re-signing, this could be a very good season for City. I am willing to help in any way I can I can because Cork City is in my heart."
Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment