24 February, 2011

O'Brien wants to win League with Cork City:

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter
O'Brien playing AGAINST Cork City. He's seen sense since
"Being from Kerry, Cork City is a club I have always had an ambition to play for and I am delighted to have the opportunity now"
- Derek O'Brien

Cork City's new signing Derek O'Brien says he has joined the club to win the First Division title. The Tralee born right winger joins from Galway United on a free transfer, having made the Premier Division's Team of the Year last season. 
"There is a wealth of experience in the squad and I am coming here to win a league medal. I could have opted for a comfort step and joined another club, but Tommy Dunne persuaded me otherwise and I know I have made the right decision,"  said O'Brien, who trained with his new team-mates last night.
"Being from Kerry, Cork City is a club I have always had an ambition to play for and I am delighted to have the opportunity now. 
My first recollections of the club are of Dave Barry, Patsy Freyne, Mick Conroy and John Caulfield playing in the Cup Final against Derry City back in 1989. 
O'Brien is happy to be in the "Real Capital"
The 31-year-old nearly joined City from Tralee Dynamos when he was 18. Now he has made it to Turners Cross he is determined to lift some silverware. "In this game, you are judged on the medals you have and that's why I am committed to Cork City,"  he added.
"The priority for me is to win the league....simple as that. I've been fortunate to have won individual honours in my career, but I have not won a trophy with any team, and I have joined City because I believe I can win things here."

That's the sort of talk that ALL at Cork City FC want to hear Derek.

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment